Ding dong, the witch is dead.

I do not like commenting on the US political scene. I see it as a stagnant quagmire, devoid of all life and new thought, slowly sucking its surroundings into its damp core. Even today, when America turns out to vote for their new president, I can still pull out no real enthusiasm. I should be happy. When I heard on the radio at the age of 9 that a man called George W Bush had won the Presidency, the tone in my parent's voices were near distraut. They wanted Al Gore. I immeditately disliked this Bush man. I chuckled when some childhood friend told me that they'd broken all the W keys on the White House computers as a prank. And we moved on with our lives. I - to my everlasting shame - originally was happy to hear about September 11th. I was 10, I viewed America as this huge ogre, all of my childhood hates rolled into one. I was shocked, dismayed at the catastrophe when it finally sunk in, and it's only been years later that I've finally grasped it for the true horror that it was. But even then I had no respect for the Texan. I wanted Kerry to win in 2004, and was shocked when he didn't. And now I'm sitting, looking at McCain and Obama. Both these men deserve the presidency. I should be happy, because Bush is finally gone forever.

I'm sure that if Obama wins, it will be terrific for America. If McCain wins, we might finally see some new movement in the Republicans. But ultimately I see nothing that gives me any hope that the problems that have been created over the last 20 years have any hope of going away.

0 comments: